A New Year To Do List for 2011
January 03, 2011
I like to say that I begin my New Year's Resolutions on my birthday, but the truth is that by the time my birthday rolls around (in July), I've usually forgotten my intentions. The years I have succumbed to peer pressure and made resolutions on January 1st, my resolve has usually waned by January 5th...so you see, I'm not really any good at New Year's Resolutions.
I *am* good at To Do Lists though, which is why I liked Jenny's idea (she was inspired by another local Jennie) of making a To Do List for 2011. So here's my list, and I hope you'll help me stay accountable to it:
1. Healthy pregnancy. Roger and I are *not* currently pregnant, but we'd like to be sometime this year.
2. Lose weight. Over the past seven years, Roger and I have each gained about 40 pounds. We're both unhappy about it. I've started tracking my calories, and hope to lose some weight before getting pregnant, and the rest afterward. I'm pretty sure that piece of fudge I ate as a mid-morning snack won't help me reach my goals.
3. Blog more. I started this little blog back in 2004, and over the past couple years it has slowly been pushed to the back burner. There are several reasons for this, and I'd like to reignite this little hobby of mine. I especially want to be able to look back over the years and read stories about things Rayah has been doing - stories that even a year from now I'll have already forgotten.
4. Stay on track financially. With Roger going back to school this semester, us trying to get pregnant, us both working full time, needing to hire a regular nanny and still wanting to pay down debt/invest in our retirement/build our savings/build our remodeling fund, we've got a lot of competing financial demands. This month, I'd like to create a realistic budget for us...and then stick to it.
5. Find a toddler playgroup. I'd really, really, really like to find a weekly toddler playgroup for Rayah. She needs some little friends!
6. Plan meals. I enjoy cooking and planning, but don't always make the time for the planning I need to do. If I make weekly (or even monthly) menus, I think our family could save both time and money.
7. Write a Cook Book. A long time ago, I told a friend I'd put all my recipes together in a book for her. I still haven't done that, and I'd like to start that project. Some of the recipes are my own, others are my family's, and a few are recipes I've tried and loved from cookbooks and magazines.
8. Commit to Vertical. Our church has a yearly Bible reading program called Vertical, and this year's program focuses on Paul's letters and missionary journeys. It takes just five minutes a day, if you want to follow along with me: Vertical Devotion.
Updated to add...
9. More outings with Rayah. We have unused memberships to museums, zoos, arboretums, not to mention fabulous parks in our neighborhood, amazing indoor (and free!) play gyms at local churches, free nearby splash parks, unexplored play areas at malls, and a Daddy who'd love lunch dates with his little girl. At least once each week, I'd like to get out and explore with Rayah.
10. Home Remodel. This is more for Roger than me, but I'd like door trim and baseboards this year. We're almost finished with our remodel, except bathrooms and the kitchen, and every time I look at a doorway I get a little excited thinking about what it will look like when the trim is up.
11. Build my craft. I love to do creative, crafty things, from designing cute party themes to creating fun little projects for Rayah and I to work on. I've got a folder full of URLs to inspire me, but I've not made the time to pursue any of them. I'd like to do that this year, and get a sewing machine to help me with some of my more complex projects.
It seemed fitting to have 11 items on my to-do list for '11. Do you have any New Year's Resolutions or To-Do Lists? Link them below - I'd love to read what you're up to, and get more ideas for myself!