Blogging Is Like A Slumber Party, Only Virtual
March 20, 2007
Lately, I have had several people ask me why I blog. They ask me what I blog about. They look at me like I'm a little pompous when I say I blog about my life, because is it really so fascinating that people want to read about it?
And then I look at my stats, smile smugly, and tell them, "Well, at least my mom likes to read it." Truthfully, my mom doesn't like to read this site. And isn’t that a shame? Because my mother-in-law IS a faithful reader. Which means that the next time they see each other? They won't be able to gab about that time I tried buffing my leg hair away with sandpaper or, horrifically, when I was sick and my nose dripped on my manager's desk.
I love blogging for a variety of reasons:
- I love writing. To me, it is fulfilling to write about my experiences – whether it is a restaurant I visited and loved (or hated), a humiliating experience I endured or a vacation spot that was exquisite – I love reporting what I've discovered and then sharing it with others.
- I love talking. I've discovered that sometimes around people I don't know well it may take me a few minutes to get warmed up, but once I've plugged in? It's difficult for me to unplug. Additionally, it is important to note here that a glass of wine does wonders for loosening my jaw.
- I love feedback, be it constructive, a shared experience, tips or flattery – I love hearing the thoughts of my readers.
- I love reading blogs because the authors are intimate and knowable. We've generated a community of people who genuinely care for others, though in most cases we've never met.
- I love meeting people. Meeting a blogger is always surreal because we've never walked side-by-side, we've never seen each other's quirky facial expressions, we've never watched the other wiggle her foot as she types, and yet I already know the private details of her life, her joys and her fears and her struggles.
- To sum it up, I love people. I love the human story, for better or for worse.
(And: will I see you at BlogHer 07 this year?)